CITIES OF PEACE has grown to become a virtual institute mandated globally with a growing chorus of international requests by governmental and institutional leaders inviting CITIES OF PEACE to bring its programs to cities throughout the world. This chorus of invitations increases wherever CITIES OF PEACE is presented: from international appearances at world peace forums issued the invitation to exhibit CITIES OF PEACE at the 70th Commemoration of the Liberation of Auschwitz in Auschwitz; and the invitation by former Prime Minister of Armenia (now Rector at the Russian-Armenian University) to create a new CITIES OF PEACE painting in Armenia on the occasion of the 100th Anniversary of the Armenian Genocide.
International presentations and symposia
In addition to paintings created in collaboration with international interns at the Illumination Atelier, CITIES OF PEACE has brought its peace building initiative to cities across the globe.
2017 CITIES OF PEACE lecture "Collecting the Sparks: Light, Art and Zohar. An Exploration of VIsual Midrash", Temple Adas; Sag Harbor, NY.
2017 CITIES OF PEACE's Ellen Frank as a guest speaker at the World Language Honor Society Induction Ceremony, East Hampton High School; East Hampton, NY.
2017 CITIES OF PEACE lecture and presentation, 9th International Conference of Museums for Peace, 25th Anniversary of International Network of Museums for Peace; Belfast, Northern Ireland.
2017 CITIES OF PEACE Illumination Atelier, Auschwitz studio launch; East Hampton, NY.
2016 CITIES OF PEACE's Ellen Frank provided guest sermon for the Bridgehampton Multifaith Thanksgiving Sermon, The Unitarian Universalist Congregation; Bridgehampton, NY.
2015 CITIES OF PEACE was invited to collaborate with local students, artists, and scholars where the painting Yerevan: To Know Wisdom was created to recognize the 100th anniversary of the Armenian genocide; Yerevan, Armenia.
2015 CITIES OF PEACE was selected for exhibition and participation in the historic 70th Commemoration of the Liberation of Auschwitz held January 25, 2015 at The House of Silence, International Youth Meeting Center (IYMC). The audience included Holocaust survivors, former prisoners, dignitaries, Polish artists and youth, surrounding communities and guests from as far as Sweden and Portugal. Cities of Peace, in concert with IYMC and Judaica Foundation directors, conducted the first Artist Roundtable with noted Polish artists to inaugurate the creation of a collaborative Cities of Peace Commemorative Series: Honoring Oświęcim and the Liberation of Auschwitz; Auschwitz, Poland.
2015 CITIES OF PEACE selected for presentation at EuPRA (European Union Peace Research Association);Tromsø, Norway.
2015 CITIES OF PEACE presentation to member of the German Parliament; Berlin, Germany
2014 CITIES OF PEACE presentation to Jan Oberg, Director of the Transitional Foundation for Peace and Future Research; Sweden.
2014 CITIES OF PEACE presentation at Desmond Tutu Center for War and Peace Studies; Liverpool, England.
2010-2011 CITIES OF PEACE exhibition, International Symposium workshops; designed 1st Arts & Peace Day; peace education curriculum launch, schools throughout Suffolk county, at Guild Hall Art Museum; East Hampton, NY
2009 CITIES OF PEACE International Symposium at the Cathedral of Saint John the Divine; New York, NY.
o Panelists included: Ambassador Cynthia Schneider, Brookings Institution; Abigail Disney, Daphne Foundation and Fork Films; Jean-Marie Guehenno, Under Secretary General of United Nations in charge of Peacekeeping Operations 2000-2008, President and CEO of International Crisis Group; Cynthia Cohen, Director, Peacebuilding and the Arts, Brandeis University; Peter Trippi, Editor, Fine Art Connoisseur; Donny George Youkhanna, former Director General of Iraq's National Museum.
Cities of Peace Exhibitions and Lectures, USA
- 2017 Temple Adas Israel, Sag Harbor, NY.
- 2016 Auschwitz Launch, Illumination Studio, East Hampton, NY
- 2015 Cities of Peace, 19 Union Square West, New York, NY.
- 2015 Center for Jewish History, New York, NY.
- 2015 Recent Acquisitions, Guild Hall Museum of Art, East Hampton, NY.
- 2013 Delaware County Community College, Mobia, PA; 3rd Biennial Articulture Invitational; exhibition, workshop, guest artist.
- 2012-2013 Resource Furniture, New York, NY; exhibition, lecture.
- 2011 Muhlenberg College, Allentown, PA; exhibition, college & gallery lectures.
- 2011 Social Research & Justice Symposium, Allentown, PA; Plenary Speaker.
- 2011 Institute for Jewish-Christian Understanding, Allentown, PA; guest speaker, community workshops.
- 2009 Iris & B. Gerald Cantor Art Gallery, College of Holy Cross, Worcester, MA; University & gallery lectures, workshops, training.
- 2009 Tria Gallery, Chelsea, NY.
- 2008 Saint Peter’s Church, New York, NY.
- 2007 OSilas Gallery, Concordia College, Bronxville, NY; exhibition, lectures, television, print media.
- 2007 “Cities of Peace: Illumination Art as an Instrument for Global Peace and Understanding” workshop, International Institute for Peace Education 20th Anniversary, United Nations.
- 2006 NGO Education Committee, United Nations.
- 2006 “Cities of Peace: Illumination Art as an Instrument for Peace and Understanding” workshop, East Hampton Summer Institute with Faye Feller, Co-Chair of the NGO Education Committee at the United Nations and EFIAF Artistic Director, Dr. Ellen Frank.
- 2005-2006 Cities of Peace Premier Exhibition at the Laurie M. Tisch Gallery, JCC, Manhattan. Lectures and symposia on “Illuminated Art as an Instrument for Peace” accompanied the exhibition. The exhibit was viewed by 3,000 people Per day for 2 months.
- 2005-2006 Laurie M. Tisch Gallery, JCC, New York, NY.
- 2005-2006 The Bronfman Center, New York University, New York, NY; exhibition, university, lecture with Everett Fox.
- 2005 AFP Galleries, New York, NY.
Accolades & Awards
- 2017 Abigail E. Disney and ‘Like A River Fund’ award, in support of Cities of Peace, to the Ellen Frank Illumination Arts Foundation
- 2017 Robert F. Schumann Foundation Challenge Grant, to launch Cities of Peace Kosovo Laboratory
- 2017 Cities of Peace invited to join the Charter for Compassion
- 2015 Ellen Frank awarded Honorary Doctorate from Russian – Armenian (Slavonic) University for Cities of Peace.
- 2007 Cities of Peace invited to join the Global Campaign for Peace Education, part of the Hague Appeal for Peace.
- 2006 Ellen Frank honored by Transnational Foundation for Peace, Sweden, for Cities of Peace Project.
- 2000 Ellen Frank awarded Individual Artist Award, Illumination Atelier Project, New York State Council on the Arts.